Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fall-ing thoughts...

Although I can never decide which season is my favorite - Fall or Winter - there is something about the Fall that gets me so excited that I am viscerally filled with joy... smelling the crisp air is like menthol moving throughout my entire body.  And besides the normal favorite things (crunching leaves, first evening fires, apple picking, etc), some of the best things EVER have happened/happen in the Fall...

1. I began to fall (no pun intended) in love with my husband.  I can't remember an exact moment or anything, just a gradual falling... and yet I knew that it was happening as we sat around a fire at a friend's house in November thinking, "Lord, if he's not the one, then I need to get out NOW because we both know I'm losing my heart fast!"  Thankfully, he was :)

2. My sweet Annie Kate was born.  She fills my days with laughter, singing, silliness and wonder.  Motherhood is by far the most awesome, amazing, coolest, most difficult, stretching, makes-me-realize-how-dependent-on-God-I-am thing I've ever had the privilege to do.

3. Apple cider donuts, pumpkin-spice lattes, pumpkin bread.  Need I say more?

4. Changing leaves - not just the colors alone, but a daily reminder that the process of death can be beautiful when LIFE is the end result.

5. First day of school... well, at least when I was in school we didn't start until September and that's still how I like to think of it.  I actually envy teachers and mothers with school-age children because they get to pick out all their new supplies like artsy notebooks and the perfect ink pens.  But nothing would excite me more than receiving my book list in English class!  I could do without Hawthorne and Faulkner, but bring on Atwood, Shakespeare and Salinger! 

6. And let's be honest, you get to wear the BEST clothes - sweaters, boots, coats, scarves - oh how I love layering!

P.S. One of these days I will get around to posting about some actual events from the past months... so sorry, but as I sat down to type, I couldn't find the camera cord to download the pictures.  Yes, I know, typical me.  Happy (late) Fall :)

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love all of these, but I can especially identify with #5 :) LOVE school supplies and getting your new books! I look forward to that day with my own kids!